Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Aqueduct Interview


As the sun set on Saturday at Bumbershoot we had a chance to catch up with David Terry aka Aqueduct just before he hit the Sound Transit Stage and rocked a huge crowd of Seattle faithful and we talked about everything from Oklahoma to Matt Hasselbeck. Dave is one of the nicest guys we've met and is genuinely happy to be doing what he loves. You can check him out right now on an East Coast tour with Apples In Stereo and back on the West Coast in October and November with Georgie James. Gander On for the interview.

GN: So what do you think about Bumbershoot?

AQ: I like it, it's cool. It's smack dab in the middle of the city and it's a lot of different styles of music and tons of people. I feel very fortunate to be asked to play.

GN: Have you caught any acts while your here?

AQ: I saw St.Vincent and a little bit of The Lashes and most of Menomena

GN: Anyone your looking forward to seeing?

AQ: I really would like to see Apples In Stereo.

GN: Your doing a show with them coming up right?

AQ: Yeah were actually doing a whole East Coast tour with them. They're one of my favorite bands of the last ten years or so, so it'll be great to go play with them.

GN: So Oklahoma to Seattle, how does that happen?

AQ: That's a big jump. It's a big cultural shift. I like it a lot here and moving to Seattle has done nothing but great things for me and Aqueduct.

GN: So you like the Northwest then?

AQ: The West Coast was definitely calling my name and I wasn't sure where to go. I almost moved to Portland but I ended up being here in Seattle and I think that ended up being a great twist of fate.

GN: I see you've become a Seahawks. (Dave was sporting a Seahawks wristband)

AQ: I kind of live down close to the stadium and I had a chance to go see a game for the first time this year a couple weeks ago.

GN: Who do see as most of your major influences?

AQ: Aqueduct as long as it's catchy, that's the consistent thing. So really bands that have kind of motivated me and inspired me over the years have just been super catchy bands. Oldies Stuff, Beach Boys, Bee Gees, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and I also just love fun silly music to like heavy metal, gangster rap, and hair metal.

GN: So how would you describe yourself?

AQ: I pretty much just say it's anything goes and I refer people to the website aqueductisgoodmusic.comand I leave it at that.

GN: So it's pretty much what your feeling at the time?

AQ: yeah it is. I try not to limit myself or pigeon hole myself ti much and really just keep the production something that keeps me going in the studio trying new stuff and trying crazy stuff.

Word Association

GN: Bumbershoot

AQ: Huge

GN: Aqueduct

AQ: Fun

GN: Northwest

AQ: Yes

GN: Oklahoma

AQ: Yes!

GN: Matt Hasslebeck

AQ: Geeky, I saw a picture of him recently and I was like man for a quarterback he's kinda geeky, scrawny looking guy.

GN: It looks like you've drawn quite a crowd here. Are you excited?

AQ: Yeah

GN: Do really like the performance aspect of it? Is that what your in it for?

AQ: I'm really in it just to make the music that I hear in my head and put it down. I'm very fortunate that people like it and playing live has become a whole thing now because it's kind of a one man band thing in the studio and from the get go I had to figure out if I wanted to have a band or if I wanted to be the laptop guy with the guitar. I really decided it should be a full band pretty much from the start and have really been working to mold that into something and I feel like in the last three years I've got a good thing going on.

GN: You play with a regular group of band members?

AQ: Yeah, if they'll have me.

No comments: